Sunday, February 19, 2023

First Student Presentations and Spoofing Walkthrough

Yesterday's class session saw two students delivering their slideshow presentations and more students shining in bonus quiz performance ^_^

Elijah scored the highest and Heather the second highest on Bonus Quiz 5 – Social Engineering & Purchasing Rationale. Feeling under the weather, Tsz missed out on BQ5. I hope he will participate in BQ6 – Shortcut, Recycle Bin, and File Types next Saturday.

Heather kicked off A5 Slideshow Presentation with Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease. The veterinarian who specializes in felines did a wonderful job of not only delivering a succinct presentation and educating then answering questions from the audience; but setting a stellar example for her classmates!

Khylie followed with the 1992 Los Angeles Riots. The LA native's penultimate slide illustrates her connection to the riots. I remember watching the riots unfold on television news when I was a high school senior. I can still hear the plea "Can't we all just get along?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sONfxPCTU0 (17 sec)






Click on the image for a larger/clearer view

I walked through the polishing process from draft version to final version for each student's slideshow. Linette and Elijah also sent in their draft versions right before yesterday's class session. Since then, I polished both of their draft versions and walked through the polishing process with Linette and will do the same with Elijah tomorrow. I look forward to seeing their presentations next Saturday :-)

One topic in BQ5 is spoofing. This 12 min 12 sec video from ABC News In-Depth walks through how a scam was pulled off using spoofing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXbF46RvY5k

I wonder what my students think of the scam walked through in the video.

I hope to see even better performance on future bonus quizzes.

I can't wait to see more student slideshow presentations.

10 comments:

  1. Scams are everywhere and I almost fell into one years ago. Now, I always ask someone else to check what I am doing before I send money to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pretty much don't trust people or sites, so it takes a lot of convincing on their part for me to part ways with my money or information. This because I was almost a victim of scareware. The person on the other line was able to contact me through my work and cell phone and get me to a place where I was in fear of being arrested. Until, I my husband calmed me down and he called a friend of ours in the police department while I was on the line with the scammers. Total fraud! So I do agree, it is the psychology no so much the technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spoofing it still a very common scam tactic used today as it is very effective. If people pose as bank employees, or other jobs that normally have trust associated with them, people are more inclined to go through with the transaction, and thus get scammed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My cousin recently got scammed on crypto, the scammers promised to mine her money and gave her a number of what her profit was going to look like, tripling the money she invested. Once she bought bitcoin and transferred it to the scammers, she was unable to get ahold of them. The scammers pretended to be a real investing company and sadly my family member was a victim to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "It's the psychology that makes it clever." The video shows how nowadays we are actually contact the scammers without awareness and trusting them as real business.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This video is a reminder of how sophisticated and dangerous scams can be. It's important to be aware of these tactics and to take precautions to protect yourself. Overall, this video serves as a cautionary tale about the importance of being vigilant and staying informed about the latest scams and tactics used by scammers. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The reason why the scammer set up a hierarchy is to make themselves more trustworthy and distract them, letting them not to be aware of the weird things. For example, in the video, the scammer use a weird phone number to call him, but as a company, they should always use their official phone number.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I consider myself one of the greatest sceptics on the planet. I hardly believe anything I see online unless there is a source for the information and even then I usually dig a little deeper. Scams are so terrible and its unfortunate that they have become such a regular part of everyday life. Seems a little wild that people have to actively be wary of scammers constantly online.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG this is TERRIFYING. I'm in the middle of rolling over my 401k plan to another institution and this really hit home for me. Makes me really want to TRIPLE QUADRUPLE check whoever i'm contacting. Thank you for sharing this Professor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It’s important to do your research before investing in anything. Be wary of investment opportunities that promise unusually high returns or claim to be a “sure thing.” It’s also important to make sure the investment is legitimate by checking with the appropriate regulatory authorities.

    ReplyDelete