Sunday, May 7, 2023

Second Breakout Student, Cryptocurrencies II (Two)/Due Diligence

This morning, Elijah took on MO-400 Outlook and MO-500 Access back-to-back, conquered them, is halfway to becoming an MOS Expert, and is halfway to hitting a MOS Homerun! I am proud of this 3-D printing and quantum computing enthusiast as he is the second student to go above-and-beyond in pursuing additional MOS certifications ^_^

I kicked off this past Saturday's class session with recognitions of students' achievements so far. I will continue next week in our final class session for IS101-3003, Spring 2023. Kimberly and Jan took center stage afterward, educating the class on the Electric Daisy Carnival (EDC), where Kimberly will be on the weekend after our semester ends, and Bulgaria, Jan's birth country. After walking through the polishing process from draft version to the final version of their slideshows, I continued to review capstone assignments with each student.




Click on the image for a larger/clearer view

Kimberly concluded with some practical safety advice should one attend EDC: to mitigate risks such as dehydration, heatstroke, overdoses, and mosh pits; (a) take advantage of free water stations at the festival, (b) seek out medical professionals onsite, and (c) be cognoscente of and take action to leave or mitigate moshing situations.

I have heard of this electronic dance festival before but I was not aware of its contribution to our economy. According to two articles, last year EDC generated a total economic output of $336.7 million and seven years ago, $1.3 billion. I may not attend Electric Daisy Carnival, but I'm glad EDC comes to us every year.

During the questions and answers round after Jan's presentation, the polite young man responded that Bulgaria invented yogurt and he didn't include food as that would make his presentation run longer than the allotted time. I applaud his decision and think he made his birth country proud by showcasing its flag, geography, economy, exports, and culture.

I looked up Bulgaria's invention of yogurt and found that There are many Bulgarian inventions acknowledged internationally, way beyond the Bulgarian yogurt and the 1st computer. Thank you, Bulgaria. I hope Jan will contribute to that list in the future :-)

Before he left the classroom, Androw took and passed MO-300 PowerPoint, becoming the fifth MOS Associate from IS101-3003, Spring 2023.

As a follow-up to the video in my previous blog post, I wonder what my students think of what they learned from this 24 min 13 sec John Oliver video: Crytopcurrencies II (Two)?

6 comments:

  1. I followed these major crypto catastrophes that happened this last year, which is why I mentioned the scams and rug pulls in my last comment about cryptocurrencies. It really is a shame because so many people just lost their money. FTX's collapse was intense. So many scandals were brought to light, I think it also made the public very hesitant to put their money into crypto, naturally. I hope that people really dig deep into different companies crypto or not before they decide to put their money into their stocks/coins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Oliver makes news surprisingly interesting his sense of humor is great. I'm not very educated in cryptocurrency and had no idea that essentially crypto is a scam. I also lost money by making the poor decision of investing in crypto and wished I would've put in time to actually understand it. I learned from this video that we should research before investing just because it sounds good doesn't mean it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is so much in this video and its content. When I watched it, what came to mind was the proverb about the love of money is the root of all evil. Now money itself is not evil and wanting to obtain it isn't but when you desire and crave it is when the problem starts. Then there is marketing genius behind it, especially when you have celebrities endorsing it.

    Sometimes people, myself included, just don't take the time to think about what is being said or research and ask opinions and questions about the subject. I am left with the question about the value of money. When you think about it, the value of things like gold or diamonds is what people make it to be and can convince others. Also, banks do suck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second that! There is so much to absorb in this video. I used to watch Jim Cramer's "Mad Money" episodes. He is such a passionate "extremist". I didn't even know all those other named crypto 'coins' exist. I did own some Dogecoin once upon a time. Yes, using fake money to borrow real money is pretty blatant. Taking money from clients and using it for your own purpose is criminal. A lot of people earn money to save for the future but these hedge fund mongrels take advantage of those people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No one out there rips into the endless horde of scammers and other delinquents better than John Oliver. The harm inflicted by these individuals on people's financial well-being surpasses that of any thief who robs a bank. They not only destroy lives but also deplete entire savings. Obviously banks and governments are biggest foes of cryptocurrency. Formidable foes indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3 out of the 3 cryptocurrency businesses with trillions of dollars have failed. Apparently, they exploited human greed to make money and were not sustainable. If a cryptocurrency business is controlled by someone, that person is likely to become greedy and attempt to scam money from others. On the other hand, Bitcoin not owned by anyone is so far so good.

    ReplyDelete